Friday 30 November 2012

"the recce"



the ‘recce’
1.    Are there any potential hazards that could pose a health and safety risk where your photo shoot will take place (trailing cables/traffic/other objects )?
     
 I am planning to shoot my photos in a back lane close to my house, this back lane is also a location used in my trailer. This will establish the setting of my trailer to the audience when they see the poster and also the genre of the film. The hazards when shooting in a back lane would be the broken glass on the ground which could cause an injury to an actor and also other members of the public, this however is not a threat but , it may just delay the actual shooting of the pictures. Another problem will be having to wait for members of the public to move out of the shot.  However, the back lane I have chosen to film is a quiet environment therefore the problem of people interrupting the shooting would be highly unlikely compared to a busy public area.

2.    What will you do to ensure these risks are minimised?

I could pre-warn actors about the broken glass in the back lane and also tidy up some of the broken glass before I started the photo shoot. There is nothing I can do however to ensure that the risk of public interruption is minimised as I have chosen to take the photos in a public environment.

3.    Will the time of day/weather affect the outcome of the photos? Have you allowed for this?

I am planning to take the photos for my poster outdoors, so the weather will possibly effect the outcome of the photos especially with shooting during winter, such as late November and early December, as the weather is often cold and wet which are not good conditions for filming as snow can badly reflect the light on a photo. For this I am going to monitor the weather forecast in order to plan when to shoot, as weather such as snow and rain as they may cause health and safety risks, due to ice and wet making surfaces slippery. 


4.    Have you considered the background to your photos, particularly if taken outside? How will you ensure you will get the background you want? 

For the background of my film poster I am planning to use the brick work and graffiti in the back lane, as it helps to set the genre and style of the film and play to the conventions that these sorts of films have. The main image will feature behind my main characters, in order to set both the location and the characters to the audience. I plan to make my film poster landscape; this will include more of the background in the poster, which establish the setting and genre of the film. The setting of the back lane has connotations of violence and crime which correspond to the genres of my film.
Have you considered lighting? What about the ‘problems’ of natural lighting, either outside, or streaming through a window? Will you need to use a flash? Have you considered reflective objects that might spoil the effect?

There will be no reflective objects in my scenery, however there is the problem of natural lighting as I will be shooting in an outdoor location. As I am shooting in the winter. I plan to emphasise the colouring of the strips when editing our poster.  I plan to take several images as having a range of different images to choose will give us a wider choice of which ones to actually use on my poster.

Do you need permission to take photos in the place/venue you have in mind?
      We do not need permission to take the photos in the cemetery as it is in the public domain therefore it is an accessible location to film where you do not need permission. Do you need to book time in a room (eg the photography studio at Shiney)?
     
No as the photography for my film poster will be set in an outdoor location I do not need a room to shoot in. We will not need to book a room for editing our images either as we plan on doing this on the computers at St.Peters during our lesson, or on my laptop at home which has Photoshop on it. 

Are other people/crowds likely to be an issue for you? What have you done to ensure that it will not spoil the effect?
      
 I plan to film in a public area, members of the public will cause an issue during the shooting for our film poster. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to avoid this issue, however the Back Lane I plan to film is a quiet area, therefore should not be a big factor. I do however plan to do some filming at a match of the football crowds which will give my trailer an added effect and in that situation the crowds will actually assist my trailer

Are you reliant on lifts/props/friends’ equipment/models? How have you planned that these things will come together at the appointed time? Plan B?

I am heavily reliant on my friends who I asked to act in my trailer, and in turn are the models for my poster. I have informed my friends when I plan to film my trailer and take the photos for my film poster. Extras such as props and equipment needed such as cameras , sound recording equipment and editing software I already own therefore I do not rely on other people. 

Finally, have you thought of every eventuality…?
 
I have discussed every eventuality included in the recce including costume and make-up of my models/actresses for the film posters. They will wear the same make-up and costume for this shoot as what they will wear in the film trailer in order to create synergy across the promoting of my film. The costume is team colours and slightly stereotypical hooligan clothing for example football strips. This helps make the film more believable and also gives it a sense of social realism.

1 comment:

  1. Oliver, you have identified the main hazards and health and safety risks which could impact your shoot, and have identified ways to minimise risk and overcome these.

    ReplyDelete